On Mon, 09 Aug 1999, you wrote:
-Aaron W. wrote:
->
-> I know this is off topic but I need an answer and I know yall can help :)
-> Does it matter what order you put the wires in the rj45 as per color as
-> long as it is the same on both ends of the cable? I am having hell getting
-> a cable to work! The cable is going from computer to hub and id cat5 wire.
-> The link leds on my hub blink for both speeds (outosensing) as if it can
-> not determin the speed. I have looked at other wires on the hub and the are
-> different in color order but like I asked does it matter as long as both
-> ends are the same?
-> Thanks,
-
-It would not matter if they were dc signals or real low speed.
-But with ethernet, each PAIR of wires services a signal, and they
-are twisted together to keep crosstalk down.  If you mix the
-orders up, you may end up with one transmit wire wrapped around
-one receive wire with dire consequences.  This is particularly
-true of 100 mHz, although in a 5 foot or longer jumper it probably
-becomes an issue at 10 mHz as well.

Not really.  We used to buy cat 5 patch cables from a vendor that jsut
wired straight thru withitu regard to pars and they have worked fine at
10 Mbps.  It can be a problem at 100 Mbps.

-Pairs are usually a color, and the second wire is white with
-trace of the color.  As in blue and blue/white.  It is easy
-to figure out which wires are the pair.  However, in the RJ-45
-connector, the pairs are NOT 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.  They are in some
-different order which I do not have handy.  For this reason you
-should look at an ethernet connector and make sure you maintain
-the same color combination.  I suppose you could swap the PAIR
-colors, but the wire pairs have to be kept as wire pairs even if
-their particular pair color does not matter.

The color sequence on both end of a patch cable are:

White with Blue stripe
Blue
White with Orange stripe
White with Green stripe
Green
Orange
White with Brown stripe
Brown

---
-Ramon Gandia  ---    Sysadmin  ---  http://www.nook.net
-285 West 1st Avenue              ISP for Western Alaska
-P.O. Box 970                          tel. 907-443-7575
-Nome, Alaska 99762                    fax. 907-443-2487
--
Stephen Carville
Systems Engineer