Stephen Carville wrote:

> How can I set up a Linux box as a time server?  I have an older (5.2)
> box acting as a NAT server and firewall for my home network.  Since
> this machine is up 7x24 I have a cron job that syncs the clock nightly
> to time.nist.gov.  I would like to re-export this data so I can sync
> the clocks on other machines using rdate.  I tried timed but this did
> not do it (unless I did something wrong)

in.timed works fine, but it serves time to rdate clients.  There
are TWO network time protocols.  rdate is the less accurate of
the two, although its good enough for most of us.  Its what I
use.  The other protocol is (I think) ntpd.  It needs special
client software.

To test your in.timed server, go to a client machine and run
the rdate command, like this:

prompt# rdate -p timeserver.foobar.com  (displays time)
prompt# rdate -s timeserver.foobar.com  (sets system time)
prompt# rdate -p -s timeserver.foobar.com  (does both).

The above should work.  If not, you are missing the in.timed
binary.  Its on the RedHat 5.2 CD as part of the timed rpm.

If you get "command not found", means your client does not
have the rdate program (different RPM, probably rdate-0.960923-5,
but if you get "connection refused" or words to that effect
it means your server does not have the in.timed binary.

Also, please note, the rdate command sets the system time, as
Linux knows it.  It does NOT set the CMOS clock in the computer.
You need to run hwclock, as I recall, in order to sync them,
or the time may be off on the next reboot.  This is trivial.
You have to be root to set time with rdate -s, or sync with hwclock.

--
Ramon Gandia ================= Sysadmin ================ Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]