I was using the KDE utility for removing users and groups to remove postgres
references.  It appears when the utility closed it also clobbered the entry
for root.  There was an /etc/passwd.bak file created that appeared to
contain the old entries.

However, because I couldn't log in as root I couldn't use mv to rename the
backup file.  I attempted to do this by booting in runlevel 1. I was
successful in moving this file back.  However, my old root password no
longer works when I try to let it do a normal boot at runlevel 3.

I have attempted to change the password from runlevel 1 and although it
appears that the password is being changed no change is resulting.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Is there a way of fixing it short
of a complete reinstall?