Will the Chill wrote:

> As always, this is a distinct possibility, but only as a LAST resort.
> I'd rather find out what's available (and open) for linux first.

If you are running multiple operating systems, that answer is a BAD
mistake, since you must have partition management software that is
acceptable to every one of your operating systems.    Partition Magic
is the best candidate.

If it is a Linux-only system, PM is still best.   It generates a couple
of floppies with Caldera's OpenDos on the first so that it can boot
itself up.    This way, the entire hard disk system can be guaranteed
dormant and available to PM.   It is a total nonsense to imagine a
Linux-based partition management program because that would require
Linux to be running, and therefore many files and partitions would be
inaccessible.     Common sense, really.

--
Ron Stodden