From: Felipe Almeida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I downloaded a new kernel but I don't know how to compile it. What do I
> need to do? Could someone please tell me, step-by-step if possible, how

    First, there are howtos and the like, which will have _much_ more detail
than what I'm about to say.  That said, here's the basic idea:

1.    su to (or log in as) root
2.    cd /usr/src
3.    rm linux
4.    tar zxfv linux-2.2.13.tar.gz
5.    mv linux linux-2.2.13
6.    ln -s linux linux-2.2.13
7.    cd linux
8.    make config (or make menuconfig, or make xconfig--I use the latter)
9.    Select all the options you want compiled.
10.    make clean
11.    make dep
12.    make bzImage
13.    make modules
14.    make modules_install
15.    cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13
    NB I may have the path wrong here, but I think it's right.
16.    cd /boot
    In /boot, I like to have a symlink from "vmlinuz" to the latest kernel
(vmlinuz-2.2.13 in this case), and another symlink from "vmlinuz-old" to the
next most recent (and presumably known-good) kernel.  This way, I don't need
to edit /etc/lilo.conf every time I upgrade my kernel; I just re-run
/sbin/lilo.
17.    pico /etc/lilo.conf
    If you followed my recommendation in the last step, you need to make
sure here that you have two entries--one called "linux" and the other called
"linux-old", and pointing to /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz-old,
respectively.  You can use whatever editor you like; I like to use pico.
18.    /sbin/lilo
19.    reboot.