>On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, you wrote:
>> After compiling a new kernel (2.2.12 from kernel.org) on reboot I get an
>> error that the root file system can not be found. It looks like it can not
>> find anything on my hd not just the root filesystem. When it is booting it
>> lists all my ide devices and says something on the line with my hd about
>> getting the irq latter loads ppp a couple other things and then kernel
>> panic can't find root filesystem.
>>    I am running MDK 6.0 on a PII system with 1 IDE hd and one UW SCSI on a
>> Adaptec 2940UW. I have made sure the root filesystem is listed in lilo,
>> turned off scsi support to see if that helped but it did not. I have tried
>> turning off ide-2 in the config but that made no difference either. I had
>> hi hopes for this kernel because I got no warnings during compile and i
>> usually do but I guess thats the way it goes.
>>
>Did you remember to copy /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/vmlinuz
>to /boot??? If not, that's the problem. Also, did you
>remember to copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot as
>well? (not positive about the path.)
>
>Unfortunately, when compiling, the new kernel doesn't
>automatically get moved. If you have an old boot disk, try
>booting to that, moving/copying the two files indicated to
>the /boot directory, re-running LILO and see if that helps!
>       John

   I did move the kernel, I used bzImage named it /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12,
made a new initrd with /sbin/mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.12.img 2.2.12, added
it to lilo (keeping my old one 2.2.9-27mdk), ran /sbin/lilo, it added them
fine. I did not move the system.map file though. What does it do? can I
name it something different and add that to the line in lilo soI can keep
my system.map for 2.2.9-27mdk or will the new one work for both? I read the
kernel how-to and it did not say anything about system.map that I remember
though the one I have is a little old it talks about 2.0 being new.

Aaron Winters, Electronic Imaging Manager.
Garner Printing, http://camalott.com/~garner
http://camalott.com/~kaw