On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Jean-Louis Debert wrote:

> > > I have a genuine SoundBlaster PRO ISA soundcard and for the life of me I
> > > can't get the bloody thing to work under Mandrake (or RedHat) with
> > > soundconfig... even lothar didn't set it up right.  The only time I got it
> > > working was using OSS under SuSE...  should I install OSS under Mandrake
> > > and use it instead of sndconfig?  How is this going to affect the sound
> > > daemon, enlightenment's sound, etc if I do?
> >
> > If you want to install it install it it won't break it, but isapnp should
> > really be able to handle it.
>
> Sorry, but AFAIK, Soundblaster PRO ISA is _NOT_ a PNP board, it has
> jumpers
> for config (I'm sure, I have one, that's a really vintage one, the very
> first
> Sounblaster that did support stereo ... albeit limited to 22k).
>
> So his question really boils down to: how does one specify parameters to
> sndconfig and friends, to match the jumper config ???

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured too...  Since the card isn't PNP,
I told sndconfig manually what the jumper settings were, and when it
played the demo sound files, they sounded just fine... but when I use
x11amp or mpg123, the sound comes out absolutely awful... more static than
anything else so something is definately not right.  I'll fiddle a bit
when I reinstall and put 6.1 on here tomorrow, but I have a feeling I
might be going with OSS since I know it worked good under SuSE.

Vincent Danen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) . ICQ: 16978834
BBBS/LiI . Internet Rex for Linux Beta
Stronghold Enterprises/X BBS . http://shx.tzo.net
Telnet://shx.tzo.net . Weblogin-http://shx.tzo.net/shx