I recently purchased a IBM 500 MHz Pentium III Aptiva, with 128M,
RW-drive, 17 G hard drive, and a DVD.
IBM's technical support just told me that if I try to put linux on the
system, they can not guarantee that I can get anything ever running on
the computer again, and will not give technical support even to restore
Windows 98, if my installation would be unsuccessful.

I thought that IBM, in general, does not object to running Linux on
their PCs. (Currently I am running Mandrake-Linux on a Gateway, and that
company's technical support never objected to it, they just did not
support it).

I would like to know if there is some problem with running Linux on
Aptiva. I would appreciate if somebody would reply who has already
successfully installed Linux on a Pentium III Aptiva., or could note get
LINUX running on it.

Julius