Well after much consideration and messing with files I decded to just put kfm
in gnome's autostart programs and remove the icons from the .gnome-desktop. And
it seems to function quite well.

I do have another problem the links that use the kdsu  (like linuxconf) do not
work. I have tried this in a straight kde desktop as well. I have also noticed
that if I su and run sertin x-programs I get permison deinied to connect to
DISPLAY:0.0  any ideas?

-John