On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear Barry:
>
> Excellent instructions and I am considering implementing it:
>
> 1) Does this in any compromise my security? I am on the Internet all the
> time when my computer is on (I have ADSL broadband and am, technically
> speaking, considered to be on a LAN by Bellsouth event though I am a
> single user on a single machine at home.

If you have telnet rlogin ssh, or xdmcp enabled, yes in a way if they
manage to crack a login they will be able to pop anything they want up
onto your desktop (of course if they crack a login, i'd worry about other
things). My recommendation is learning xauth, but none of the above
daemons are active by default.

> 2) What's technially wrong with the Update button on the user's desktop
> in Mandrake? Why is it not working? It goes through the entire process.
> It shows you the rpms, ask for your password (I make sure I give it the
> right one. If not, it tells me that) and then it clams shut. Is it a
> bug?

I still can't reproduce this one :(
are you in runlevel 3 or 5
rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/bin/gsu #says what
are you running the Original, or the one from update
what error messages are produced? open xterm and run from there or check
starting tty

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon