David van Balen wrote:

> Is there a way to mount my cdrw drive so that I can view it like my cdrom?
> It's an ATAPI BCE 62IE drive and works fine for writing.

If it is an ATAPI drive, then it will work as a reader directly.

That is, unless you have done something to tell Linux that it is a simulated
SCSI device.    If so, remove that, and you should have a CDROM reader.

For kernels 2.2.10 or later, to utilise the writer part of the drive (since
ALL CD writers use the SCSI command set - even across an ATAPI interface) as
superuser you must manually:

rmmod ide-cd           // if it exists
modprobe ide-scsi

Use cdrecord -scanbus to check that the writer is now accessible.

After writing is completed, remember to put it back to reader state as
superuser by manually:

rmmod ide-scsi
modprobe ide-cd            // if it existed

I hope this gives you enough starting clues to get both sides working <g>.
You do not have to specify which device if your kernel is 2.2.10 or later.

Finally, you should never attempt to mount a CD writer.   The writing
software provides the SCSI device lister (-scanbus) and the hardware driver.
 The kernel is NOT involved.  One day (perhaps) the kernel will support CD
writers in a generic fashion <sigh>.

Regards,

Ron Stodden