Hopefully, my question is appropriate for this forum. If not, I'll wirthdraw
it immediately.

Here's the question: I've been told that Slackware is a better
Linux distribution because it's more stable in a network environment, it most
closely resembles Unix, and it can be optimized on 386 to 586 Systems. Also,
it's generally faster than the other distributions. For the sake of desktop
accessibility, Mandrake sacrifiies speed and stability. The only Slackware
drawback is that it can be a challenge to install. Is there any truth to all
this?

I actually enjoy Mandrake; it's the best distribution I've used. Of course,
I've only used two others (Redhat, Caldera). However, it would be interesting
to hear what more seasoned Linux users have to say about Mandrake vs. Slackware.

Thanks all

Paul Hoy