1) diable autosenseing (as everybody else said, it can really screw it up)
2) disable full duplex (only makes sense if your not talking to the same
   computer, they weren't designed exactly for this)
3) How much shorter than 10' are the cables (100baseT spec says no less
   than 8 foot)

I gave away a realtek card a few weeks ago because it wouldn't do 100baseT
as the package stated :(