On Fri, 26 Nov 1999,  David Hart wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Ramon Gandia wrote:
> > It is
> > "server assigned DNS" in dial up networking, and in
> > the networking icon it is set up to "disable DNS".
>
>       Thanks for the ideas. Problem is that this ISP doesn't use Server
> Assigned DNS. I've got the numbers, 4 of them actually, and they all work
> through Dial-Up Networking.
>       Tried pinging some known IP's anyway, 100% packet loss. Went back to my
> secondary dial-up and pinged the DNS numbers for the one that doesn't work and
> they came back quite fast (200 ms).
>       Got any other ideas?

It then has to be authentication.  Lets see if we can
figure it out.

In Windows 95:  (a) You are using a script file?  This
         is a scripted login.

        (b) You do not use a script.  You enter the
         username and password in the DialUp box (the
         one that has the CONNECT button on it).  This
         is PAP authentication.

Now you have to match your authentication in Linux to
what worked in Windows 95.  A lot of people, when they
set up KPPP or Linux PPP, immediately put in a username
and password in the script or chat script.

Alas, in KPPP and Linux PPP that is the default.  When
you set it up, it brings up this nice screen that has
a place for username and password.

Using chat scripts in Linux is the equivalent of Method
(a) in Windows 95.  If your Windows 95 uses Method (b),
the PAP authentication, you must leave the username and
password areas BLANK in KPPP or Linux PPP.  Yes, I said
leave them BLANK.

Then find the "Use PAP authentication" checkbox, and set
up your PAP.  Basically all that does is set up your
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets file.  That file will have a single
line that will contain your username and password.

This may all seem trivial, and there is a temptation to
fill out BOTH the chat script and the PAP authentication
both.  But I can assure you that in many cases it will
not work if you do both, or use chat instead of PAP.

Most ISP's today use PAP authentication because of the
ease of use with Windows 95 clients.

In the case of Nook Net, if you supply any sort of
Chat script, the server will take your username, password
and then go into LA-LA land.  You have a connection but
it does not take you anywhere.  This is pretty standard
with most servers using RADIUS authentication, probably
over 90% of all terminal servers nationwide.

A way to test it is with minicom.  If you fire up
Minicom, dial into Nook Net, you will get a username
prompt.  Answer that, give it the password and it will
go into nevermore.  Even with PAP set.

On the other hand, if when the username prompt comes
up in Minicom, you terminate minicom (but stay
connected, which is the ALT-Q option), then PAP
will start automatically and you are in.  Assuming,
of course, that /etc/ppp/pap-secrets is properly
set up.

Read a bit on the PPP HOWTO, specially the part on
PAP for clients.  However, the KPPP setup wizard will set
it up properly for you if you know what you are looking
for.

--
Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]