Not right. Before samba was samba, I was using an NFS client for Win3.1
There is no free nfs client as far as I know but there are NFS clients
for WinNT and 95. Even more I was sharing a Novell volume through NFS
and if you can do that.... To mind comes Chameleon NFS and a solution
from SUN that I cannot remember the name. Anyway it is REALLY expensive.
something in the $300 back then per seat, and that was education
discount. Then agin it also had other stuff besides NFS (X manager,
Printers, etc.)