On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 09:07:36PM +0000, Civileme wrote:
-> "Lord And Master;)" wrote:
->
-> > Is it possible to have windows 98 share drives using nfs instead of
-> > samba?
->
-> Short Answer:  NO
->
-> Longer Answer :NO!
->
-> Reasoned Answer:  Samba was created mostly by Andrew Tridgell from some
-> work he did to make DOS use some unix files, sometime in ancient
-> history.  Of course, the contributors list is much longer now! It's
-> stated purpose is not only to make UNIX and Windows play nice but also
-> to SHARE.  Without this protocol translator known as Samba, they don't
-> share.  Note that the approach taken is that as Windows does its 800 lb
-> gorilla act, Samba reverse engineers to stay compatible.
->
-> It should actually be possible to write a program for 98 to use nfs.  If
-> you can get me the Windows source code, I'll be happy to undertake the
-> task :-).    Or Microsoft could write some extension to Win9x and WinNT
-> to do so, but they don't.

I'm not convinced. :-)

There are NFS clients and servers for NT, although I have never used
any. Since W98 is even less secure than NT, it should be possible to write
one.

As with NT, the major problem would be in the status bit
translation. Windows and Unix status bits simply do not map easily to each
other.

If such a beastie does exist, I would still advise you to use Samba anyway.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley