When I try to run Gnumeric on Mandrake 6.1, I get:

[dereks@localhost 0409]$ gnumeric
Cannot read file /home/dereks/.gnome/fonts/fontmap :
gzopen failed: No such file or directory
Cannot read file /usr/share/fonts/fontmap :
gzopen failed: No such file or directory

** WARNING **: gnome_font_new_closest: font family Helvetica not found

Gnumeric failed to find a suitable default font.

Please verify your gnome-print installation and that your fontmap file
(typically located in /usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap) is not empty or
near empty.

If you still have no luck, please file a proper bug report (see
http://bugs.gnome.org) including the following extra items:

1. Values of LC_ALL and LANG environment variables.
2. Your fontmap file, see above.

Thanks -- the Gnumeric Team

        Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,