On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 12:54:28PM +0100, Denis Havlik wrote:
-> :~>I have an external USRobotics Sportster 56k that isn't being recognized.
-> :~>Does anyone have a suggestion?
->
-> External? As in "it is outside the computers and connetst to it with an
-> serial-cable"?
->
-> It must work AFAIK. The only think I can think of which would lead to "not
-> recognising" such a modem is that you are using a wrong port to access it.
->
-> Take a minicom, and let it "initialize tha modem" on various ports
-> (/dev/ttyS0, /dev/tty<S1...) - as soon as your modem returns an "OK", you
-> have the right port, and you KNOW that your modem is answering.

Generally, that will work to locate a modem. BUT if the modem is set to
return numeric codes rather than the customary ascii strings, he will send
text to the modem but never see any response. As I noted in my last email,
USR did that to my 33.6 kps modem.

One workaround is to use setserial to set all the likely serial ports to
as slow as possible a baud rate, then watch the RD and SD LEDS for
traffic.

Or look at the connectors on the back of the computer. ATX boards often
have the serial connectors labled.

->
-> cu
->      Denis
-> -----------------------------------------------------
-> Mag. Denis Havlik  <http://www.ap.univie.ac.at/users/havlik>
-> University of Vienna    |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-> Austria                (@ @)       tel: (++431) 4277/51179
-> There Is More Than One Way To Do It (Larry Wall)

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley