5.3 "Festen"  Is stable and runs very well on 486s.  I have a copy installed on
a ThinkPad 365 for one person (college student) and she is very happy with it.
Video and sound run well and SO 5.0 works nicely.  Netscape 4.08 is far better
behaved than the more recent ones, because it seems to have been compiled for
the library Festen uses.

If KDE worked just a little better on defining mimelinks and applinks there,
the conversion I made here for the office would have been 15 Festens instead of
14 Helios and one Caldera 2.3(which I find pretty hard to support).

http://www.linuxmall.com has Festen CDs for $.99 plus shipping.  The 350Mb of
HDD available suggests that you will have to do a multiple install.  That is,
install with NO packages selected, then rpm in what you really want, because
I remember my custom Festen installs running close to that for just program
code, without any thought to space for data.

Civileme