----- Original Message -----
From: Civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 1999 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [expert] Installing L-M on a 486

> http://www.linuxmall.com has Festen CDs for $.99 plus shipping.  The 350Mb
of
> HDD available suggests that you will have to do a multiple install.  That
is,
> install with NO packages selected, then rpm in what you really want,
because
> I remember my custom Festen installs running close to that for just
program
> code, without any thought to space for data.

The simple solution is to hack the comps file and remove all the included
files you don't want.

You can get a very slim install this way (besides setting your own package
defaults).

Well, maybe thi sisn't so simple since you have to

burn a new CD; so you might as well include the updates and run genhdlist.

If you really have to have a more "modern" distro for a 486, use RedHat 6.1.

Hoyt