Andrew Mitchell wrote:

> John Aldrich wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> > >
> > > I doubt it that 8MB ram is a problem. as it happens, I booted a machine
> > > with full M6.1 distribution on it, and only 8MB RAM! (Installing might be
> > > another story though).
> > >
> > > Anyway, there is no need for a full distro if you only want a
> > > firewall/proxy. Take a look at some of the micro-distros, and
> > > be happy. A rather nice list can be found at "http://lwn.net"
> > > Be sure to trow-out everything you do not need - LESS IS MORE.
> > >
> > Yep. LRP would be fine on a system like that. :-)
> >         John
> Yeah, I've got Mandrake 5.3, as well as 6.0, 6.1, plus redhat 5.2 and
> 6.0 ;-) I'll try Mandrake 5.3, but I was wanting to use a 2.2 kerenl
> so I could still use ipchains. Also, does LRP include squid? I think
> the 8mb problem comes from the fact that I can only do a network
> install. I've also got two other people who want me to build systems
> like this (including my boss), so I have to get this working ;-)

It can, yes. See lrp.c0wz.com if you want to do LRP, the main page is
woefully outdated. But people do have difficulties with 8mb of RAM, it's
only enough if you disable or reduce logging.
Jack
--
Last reboot caused by: WINE 121299.
7:58pm  up 1 day, 59 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.11