On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 08:46:27AM -0500, Kevin Boylan wrote:
-> >> Kevin....if youy're using factory formatted media then it will identify
-> >> as hdd4 (partition 4).
->
-> I read in a how-to that it is not known why hdd4 was chosen.
->
-> But I'm curious.  By factory formatted media, do you (Alan) mean
-> dos/Windows or linux formatted? The disks I would have in my zip drive
-> would be dos formatted.

FAT (Windows). As far as I know, zip disks are only available preformatted
for FAT16 and Mac. If you want something else, you will have to make a
file system yourself ("man mkfs").

->
-> On boot up the system definitely recognizes that there is an ATAPI zip
-> drive and it says it is hdd (just hdd with no number).  But if I add
->
-> /dev/hdd       /mnt/zip        auto    defaults        0 0
->
-> to fstab, I don't get any errors, but I can't seem to see anything on the
-> drive.  Do I just create the /mnt/zip directory as a regular directory or
-> does it have to be created in any special way?

Try /dev/hdd4, to specify the partition.

ccurley@charlesc $ ll -d /mnt/zip
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Jul 24 17:35 /mnt/zip

"mkdir /mnt/zip" should do it.

You might also look at jaZip, at: http://www.scripps.edu/~jsmith/jazip

->
-> Thanks,
->
-> Kevin
->

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley