I have linux-Mandrake on my lap top, I installed it w/o problems with CD only... after Your description I do not know what is your teal problem...
ibi wrote:
Wayne,

No, the CD won't run in Linux without the files on the floppy. LILO
won't boot either. I think it has to do with the position of the Lxt2 on
the drive which is at the end of a 8.4gb.

I wrote about my experiences with the Linux-Mandrake install at
http://www.linuxgazette.com , Jan. 2000 issue: "The Penguin and Me."
I really am struggling to learn this new OS. It wasn't the easiest
install and the story will explain the how, what and why I did.

I may ultimately have to do a new install. I keep trying to convince
myself if I know just a little more about I can do it *right*. It's also
possible the CD is corrupt. It's a real challenge because I don't know
how to determine whether or not the CD is complete? My hardware is all
recognized in the boot process, but none of it works except the modem.

For what it's worth, the story has generated a lot of words from
non-Mandrake users who don't agree, but other newbies have agreed with
my experiences. In any case this isn't meant to start a thread on story
writing. I really want to learn. The sooner I get away from Windoze the
better!

Pj

--
Bartlomiej Muryn        |       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Country Support         |       tel: +48 12 2932179