Thanks Ramon, that was some of the best explained modem info I have seen in along time.

Sounds like a call to Sprint to check their lines is in order. Though I have
not checked it I am very certain my lines inside the house are fine. I replaced
then all with CAT 5.

Since the dial tone problem exists with my USR and an Amquest modem and it
happens in Win98 and Linux, based on your info, it points back to the phone
line.

In linux I use 'scripts' as suggested by the various how to's to automate the
login procedure. That is, I don't have to enter my userid and password. They
are very basic scripts.

I understand about the minimum-wage folks ISP's use for front line tech
support. When I have called and Linux entered the conversation, their immediate
response is we do not support linux. Well, last time I checked, ppp/slip, etc
is pretty much the same reguardless of the operating system. Yes, I suppose
there are some variances in its implimentaion.

I especially liked your audio clues to assist in determining which chipset a
modem might have.

Some time ago I saw a write up from the Evansville, IN newspaper (on the web)
about the Rockwell equipment (for ISP's) and they had nothing good to say about
their equipment either.

And finally to the person who suggested trying irqtune. That solved my frame
error problems, thanks. For now I am leaving the serial port at the highest
prioity, if I noticed other problems cropping up because it is #1 on the list
I'll fiddle around with that later.

Thanks to all.
Dennis Veatch