I did a default 'SERVER' install on my test system and ran into a few
major problems.

First, I cannot log in as root.  I can log in as any other user, and su
to root with no problem, but no matter what I try I cannot log in as
root.

Second, /usr/X11R6/bin is not included in the path for the users (it
seems to be commeted out in /etc/profile for some reason).  It does seem
to be included in the path for root.

Third, starting up my first X session as a non-privilaged user got me a
desktop with just 'Trash' and 'Autostart' icons.  Starting up my first X
session as root got me a nice set of standard icons on the desktop.
(conspicuously missing are cdrom and floppy)

I haven't tried the 'WORKSTATION' install yet, but I have to comment
that the actual install process went very well (in text mode, this
machine couldn't run the graphical installer).

        - Theo