> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Concis wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I have a strange error message that I would be grateful if someone could
> > shed some light on.
> >
> > I have a Laptop and I am installing Air(7.0) with a bootdisk
> generated from
> > network.img.
> >
> > Everything works out alright until I am to select which
> packages I am going
> > to install. I get this errormessage: "An error occured: all:
> canīt open dir
> > /tmp/rhimage/Mandrake/RPMS No such file or directory"
> >
> > It seems to me that maybe the bootdisk is flawed?
> >
> > I selected Customized and then Development as options for the install.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Fredrik Hult
>
> ftp, http, nfs or what type of install?
> what logs (if any) on the serving machine?

I am trying a http install.
I donīt have any logs from the serving machine as it is not under my control
and the admins couldnīt be bothered.

I will try to do a http-install on my own network with a CD. I will return
with the logs if unsuccessful.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,
Fredrik Hult

> PS. what hardware, and is it overall good or bad? (axalon needs a laptop
> to take to expo in newyork, and i'm totaly undesided :)

It is a Sony Vaio Z505SX
Good hardware if you donīt use Linux. I have downloaded a X-server for the
neomagic256AV chipset but havenīt tried it yet. No sound support yet it
seems. And the diskdrive is USB so rawrite fails and Linux canīt mount it :)

The CD is pcmcia based. I havenīt tried to get it working yet.

All in all. Small, light, useless battery, 128MB RAM, 6GB disk (larger in
the new version) and 366 MHz PII. Integrated winmodem (sigh) and Intel
10/100 netchip (yah).

Firewire,Memorystick slot etc.

Excellent portable devstation. I have actually used it as a server one time
when the shipment of the real server got delayed.

Sad thing it is not sold in Sweden. I had to buy it at Fryīs when I visited
a friend in the US.