The last company I worked at had a few phone lines reserved for employee
dial-up use. Their usage rules specifically stated that those phone lines
should be used for dial-up purposes between the hours of 9am and 5pm during the
week. Off-hours, though, employees could use the lines for brief Internet usage
(only 2 or 3 lines for 100 employees), like to download your Email.

Since we couldn't check our work Email from home without being dialled into the
server, most of us didn't bother with it. The server was only on a dedicated
ISDN line (single channel, I believe), which got bogged down pretty quickly if
all of the phone lines were in use, and if anyone was staying late at the
office using the bandwidth as well.

---
Ian Douglas, System Administration
[EMAIL PROTECTED]