Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:15:24 -0500
From: "Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

First of all, sorry about cross posting, but the Mandrake list doesn't seem
to be receiving my mail this weekend and I would really like to solve these
problems.

I'm running Mandrake/Helios/kde-1.1.2 on a K6-2/300, dual booting with
Win95.  When I log, in runlevel 5, startx gives me the following messages
(with the process hanging on the gray screen):

        AUDIT: <date time string with incrementing seconds>: 07 2000: 570x: client
1 rejected from local host
        xlib:  connection to ":0.0" refused by server
        lib:  client is not authorized to connect to server

The same thing happens whether I'm root or a user and in both runlevel 5 and 3.

As far as I know all that I did was recycle Linux as I needed Win95.  The
previous shutdown process was without any errors or warnings as far as I
can recall.

A second problem has resurfaced.  Without going into great detail I now
have a new external Hayes Accura V.90/Flex External Dual-Mode Modem.  I got
the new modem to use primarily with Linux, and am shifting the 56K internal
PCI modem to the other machine in my LAN.

Win95 finds the modem on COM2 (where I want it) at address 2F8 with IRQ
3.  However, when I attempt to dial out, Win95 tells me that the modem is
being used by another dial-up networking application or another
program.  Perhaps this will give some insight to those of you who know what
you're doing.

In Linux I made the link ttyS1------->modem.  Kppp tells me 'Sorry the
modem is busy' while minicom says that 'You are ready on line hang up" but
the hang up command has no effect.

Thanks in advance.
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                        Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry                        Stochastic and multivariant
614.486.4076