Hello Robert,

I have Dell Inspiron 7500 with the same 3com card, and, with the same
Mandrake 7.0 you mentioned ;-) . Under mandrake 7.0, the card works
fine.

The only problem I met is the run sequence of sysv scripts. Because
PCMCIA subsystem is more generic - it provides modem(serial) device,
ethernet device, etc - it should be run before
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network.

Mandrake uses the same sequence that Redhat uses - not strange - so
when network is started, eth0 can't be used. I manually edited the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia script, modified the 'chkconfig' line to
'chkconfig 2345 05 96' ( be careful, there are two such lines, you
should modify the second one), and then run
'chkconfig --del pcmcia; chkconfig --add pcmcia' , so pcmcia
subsystem is started before network subsystem.

BTW, the card can't be recoginized when I install mandrake 7.0, but
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start' is enough to bring it up. Just
create /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth0 with correct settings
and enjoy it.

--
  lark