One brand I'm looking at picking up some time in the future (when I have
time to try developing a driver) is Alps.  They're not a big name, but
their MD-5000 model is the most impressive printer I've ever seen.  It's
capable of 2400x2400 on plain paper, and can handle gold and silver
foils in addition to the normal colors.

Like I mentioned above, there aren't any Linux drivers for their
printers at this point (that I know of), but I contacted them in August
or September of last year, and they were willing to provide the
technical information necessary to develop the drivers.

        - Theo