Hi everyone...

Ive made some posts recently regarding kernel compilation/installation..

Ive tried several suggestions with no luck getting my smp stuff to
work....

If I compile and install a new kernel I do:

    make clean && make dep&& make bzImage && make modules && make
install && make install_modules

Right after I run lilo although I think make install does it.

The computer now boots but has problems with the sound modules (I had to
compile the AIC7xxx driver into the kernel)....

If I upgrade (or downgrade my kernel) using the binaries(RPMs), what is
required to change the kernel..

Could someone please educated me a bit on what the kernel requires at
boot and educate what these things are:

initrd - I understand this is the RAM disk at boot but what needs to be
done with this if the kernel changes

System.map - Have no clue

module_info

When I try to link these manually I still get a kernel panick on my SCSI

module

Kernel panic :  aic7xxx.o not compiled for current kernel ___smp.
Module was compiled for ___linus.

Something to the effect of the above line occurs.. Ive tried linking
vmlinuz and module_info and such to the new SMP info and then ran
lilo...

Im simply confused as to where the SMP module is trying to load this
from... Shouldnt it load it from the smp modules directory?

Ive even tried to pull down a redhat smp kernel module and I get this
same kernel panick.  I know this kernel works since its running on an
identical machine.  Consequently, I know that I must have forgotten to
link or run some script...

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Werner