Hi!

I don't know exactly the behaviour of make install in kernel compilation,
but I always use make zlilo (or bzlilo if need be). This just needs a
prepared lilo.conf (i.e. with two entries, one for vmlinuz and one for
vmlinuz.old) and takes car of moving the old kernel and System.map and
stuff.

Another thing to take care of, when using kernel sourvces from the net, is
the install-path statement in the Makefile. It is set to / as standard, you
have to uncomemnt the /boot path for the kernel to go into the right
directory.

Hope this helps,
Karsten
--
Why do we have to hide from the police, daddy?