Russ & Rich,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  Smbd and nmbd are running,  I use the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart after I make changes to the smb.conf file.  and
yes I have added the users to the smbpasswd file, enabled
PlainTextPassword on the windoze box.  Like I said I can see the
shares, (so I know smbd and nmbd are running) but cannot connect.  I
have been using samba for about a year and a half, I thought I ran into
most of the problems one could face, NOT!  I turned the log files up to "9",
the only thing that looks out of the ordinary is this.
[2000/02/13 10:52:21, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(474)
  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Broken pipe
[2000/02/13 10:52:40, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(474)
  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Broken pipe
[2000/02/13 10:54:40, 1] smbd/server.c:main(643)
  smbd version 2.0.6 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998
I'm not exactly sure what it is but it don't look good.  That's why I believe

thier may be a service that I need for samba that's not running .
After not beeing able to connect I retrived my (previously working)
smb.conf file from my ever prudent backup of /etc "before the upgrade to
7.0" that still doesn't work.  Which again may point to something other
than samba itself.

Thanks again

Mike