The CD-RW is the biggest thorn in my side right now, and in fact the
primary motivation for signing up for the list . . . so it looks like I
jumped in at the right time.

Here's the deal (I think) . . .

I *believe* that the 2.2.14 kernel has gotten broken with regard to
IDE-SCSI emulation, and Mandrake very cleverly sets the LILO parameter
to force the kernel to try to use the broken code.

Thus, noting correctly that I had a CD-RW, Mandrake put the
hdc=ide-scsi line into my lilo.conf, which enabled the broken kernel
code, and I could not read any of my cdroms, which was a problem since
my entire system backup was on them.

(I completely re-staged my machine rather than just updating the system
partitions because I wanted to totally re-partition it.)

I say that the kernel code itself is broken becuase under RedHat 6.1 I
rebuilt a kernel with IDE-SCSI emluation and after doing so I could use
the /dev/pg0 (CD-RW) device and the /dev/cdrom (/dev/hdc CD-ROM)
device without any trouble.

Under the Mandrake 7.0 distribution (2.2.14 kernel), I tried exactly
the same thing, and then I could write to it just fine, but I couldn't
read it.  Or I can build without the emulation and I can read it, but
not write to it.

The best solution I've come up with so far is to build a kernel in
which both the IDE SCSI emulation and the IDE ATAPI support are
modules, and not specify anything at boot time.

That way, I can boot the machine and mount CDs without any trouble, but
then I can't read them.  Or I can boot and write them but not read
them.  Whichever I do first after I reboot works fine, but disables the
other.  This is enough to get me limping along for now, but if I wanted
to have to reboot every few hours I'd run WIndows in the first place.

Has anybody gotten any further on this than me?  I was planning to try
to figure out how/where to check on known kernel bugs; though I didn't
quite see myself as a "newbie", so I signed up for *this* list, I
haven't actually needed to report any kernel bugs before . . . . except
in limited areas like the parallel-port project.

--
I am "Brian, the man from babble-on" (Brian T. Schellenberger).
I can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.babbleon.org .