At 19.09 22/02/00 +0100, you wrote:
>lothar freezes my system so that I've to reboot :(((
>
>it freezes with or without "skip ISA detection" :(((((
>(when skipping, it always freezes at "soundcard detection")
>
>I managed to have sound the old way, using sndconfig, though
>
>I searched the usenet for similiar problems but didn't find any - am I
>really the only one having problems with lothar ???

No, you're not the same.
I'm having these *same* problems too (I decided to not to use Lothar %-) )

My hardware is :

ASUS P5A bios 1.007

I too have 2 HD and a Plextor 8/4/32A (IDE) and an AOPEN cd-drive

And I too have an NE2000 (0x300 , 5) but with a SB16 non PNP , but these
didn't create problems.

>ps:
>Maybe the Lothar-problem is related to another severe problem I just
>detected:
>
>I can't  mount my first CD-drive (a Cyberdrive  CDRW) any more!!!

I HAD this same problem too, and I resolved it unloading the IDE-SCSI
module, then removing Supermount, then rebooting, then reloading IDE-SCSI
module.
These are the steps I followed, but I think the problem resides in the
supermount.
In fact I reinstalled AIR and this time I chose to not to use supermount
and it didn't give me this problem (without having to disable the IDE-SCSI
module)

>The thing I liked most about Mandrake (6.1) was to have a reasonable
>working and functional system (sound included) within 2 hours - at least
>for my HW-configuration things seem to have changed with Mandrake 7.0-2
>(air) and not for the better ... (though I really like the properly
>configured & working selection of WindowManagers from 7.0, to say at
>least something positive :)

I do appreciate A LOT the completeness of the wm in AIR, it's probably the
best I've ever seen in a Linux distribution.
:-)))
However, I think that the problems in AIR (the problems *I* noticed, I
mean) are bearable, (except for Lothar) , since I resolved all of them and
I don't think to be wizard :-)
Why doesn't get out an updated AIR?
I mean a 7.0-4 (for example) version of the ISO image, it would be so nice!
(and SO perfect!)

See you and thanks again

                 Ev