Tom,

I'm facing a similar situation. I decided against the Athalon for the
same reasons listed. I was going for the k6-450 until I found out they
have problems with the tri-level cache.

I finally settled on the Tyan 1590s because of the 8 slots and
upgradeablity; K6-500 and 160 P-100 RAM. I decided to try the Diamond
S3Virge AGP/8mg since I had good luck with the PCI version, and I'm not
a gamer.

All I need is a good Linux box and I think I'll have it when I'm
finished. At the very least it should be faster than my 200MMX. Maybe.

Pj