On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, seanc wrote:

> Install detects 128 mb of ram.
> top/free report only 64.
>
> Reinstalled. Same deal.  Where is this setting kept and how can I change
> it?  This is my workstation / game-box so it runs windoze too and it likes
> and uses all 128 mb.

tell it 128 when the install asks, just remeber to update the lilo.conf if
you add or remove ram.

> Oh yeah using loadlin rather than lilo.  Could that be the problem? (Don't
> think so but I can't rule it out).  3 DIMMS (64,32,32 respectively).

(note to self read all of msg b4 replying)
Yes you can check, find a blank floppy and run

mkbootdisk `uname -r`

boot with this disk and see if the ram is reported correctly.

> Any ideas??? (i'm frustrated and stumped).. I've gone through all the init
> scripts I could find and every config file with no luck.

There are some differences between the install and production kernel that
may cause this. Sense you are useing loadlin, create if you do not have
one already a linux.bat that has the loadlin command, open
properties->program->advanced, click MS-DOS mode and "Specify a new
configuration" and clear out both the config.sys and autoexec.bat it
generates, now it will boot without anything else hideing in the
background.

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon