what all do you use the linux server box for?  If it is mainly for file storage
and now for a gateway. You will want to look at www.e-smith.org  it sets up in
10 minutes make a quite secure firewall, mail server, directory server, file
and print server.  We use on of these at work an a pentium 120 with 10 or so
users and we are using the web cache (squid) quite extensively with a script to
filter web page ads. We are very happy with it. We added another several hard
drives to it and it is faster serving a database file than our NT 4.sp4 server
that is on a 400mhz Pentium II.  That machine is running MS exchange for all
our company (3 locations) shared calendars though.