I've got a Compaq Deskpro 4000 5233MMX with a Compaq S3 ViRGE/GX PCI
V1.70 video card.  I'm trying to set up X in Mandrake 7.0 using
Xconfigurator but so far have been mostly unsuccessful.  The problem is
that X will come up but the screen is distorted (especially around the
mouse pointer).  So I tried Xconfigurator --noauto which allowed me to
make sure the S3 ViRGE/GX driver was selected along with the correct
monitor.  I'm fairly certain the problem is not with the monitor as I've
successfully run RedHat 6.1 and X in the past.  I also tried the S3
ViRGE generic driver and finally the plain S3 driver but all 3 do the
same thing.  Has anyone else seen this before and if so find a solution?

Cordially,

Scott Sprunger