For those who haven't looked in to it, the default kernel run when you
install Air server:high is mdklinus, which is just a plain vanilla as if
downloaded from kernel.org.

I changed to mdksecure, which was precompiled with patches that prevent
changes to critical system files, and other security-related
enhancements.  No inconvenience from it so far, EXCEPT:

VMWare 2 doesn't have a precompiled module corresponding,  (it does for
the Air mdk kernel)  so it tries to compile using src/linux/include.  It
fails, as the running kernel doesn't match include/.  (mdksecure v.
mdk)  I edit include/version.h to mdksecure and try VMware compile
again.  Now it fails with 'slight symbol mismatch', as headers are still
only for mdk.  (not mdksecure)

I make mrproper && make xconfig and make deps && make bzImage,  but go
no further in hopes the include/ dir is filled in correctly for VMware
compile, but same problem.

I do not have the patch they add to the kernel for mdksecure, nor the
headers for it, so cannot =compile= a secure kernel.

I can reboot to mdk, VMware finds precompiled modules, installs & runs
fine.  But when I reboot to mdksecure with these modules,  of course
mismatch between modules & running kernel.

So I am faced with a choice:  a hardened kernel, or VMware.

Will Mandrake release either the patches or headers for mdksecure?  Or
should I go to something like LIDS?  Would I have the same problem with
LIDS?
--
Carl A. Cook
quantumATaugustmailDOTcom