> > For those who haven't looked in to it, the default kernel run when you
> > install Air server:high is mdklinus, which is just a plain vanilla as if
> > downloaded from kernel.org.
>
> you may have a bug there, what did the original lilo.conf look like? All
> server installs should have the secure kernel IIRC

Original LILO (1st entry) pointed to /boot/vmlinuz which is a symlink that
points to vmlinuz-2.2.14-1mdklinus.

> When you did the 'make mrproper' you deleted the
> modversions-secure.h, you'll need to reinstall the kernel-headers to get
> that back. Then you can verify that /boot/kernel.h indicates the right
> kernel for include/linux/modversions.h

Thanks Axalon,  it worked.  Seems like 'make mr' is IMproper.  Reinstalled the
headers, and indeed modversions-secure.h was there.  But /boot/kernel.h was a
zero-length file, possibly as a result of installing the headers.  So I
rebooted and kernel.h was rebuilt.  Installed VMware and so far it seems to be
OK, though haven't installed guestOS yet.

This implies I CAN recompile a secure kernel!  How do I indicate when
compiling that I DO want the secure kernel?  Be booted to it in the first
place?
--
Carl A. Cook
quantumATaugustmailDOTcom