On Tue, 07 Mar 2000, you wrote:

> I just looked, just in case I had missed something.  All Diamond
> PCI modems *are* WinModems.  You should get a model number, which
> will be on the card, like Model 2920.  They use 4-digits like
> that.
> "Supra Express" is meaningless as they use this term on ALL the
> modems that they make (ie, SupraExpress = ModemMadeByDiamond ).

I have to stick up here for my ISA Supra Express 56i. It's
a non-winmodem (using YOUR definition of "WinModem.") It's
done quite well for me when I've needed a modem. However,
as I said, it's a 100% hardware modem. No extra software
needed. :-) That being said, my dad has a Supra Max 56i,
and it's an HSP modem. Works fine for what he needs.... but
I know better than to stick it in a Linux box. :-)
Nowadays, he goes through my ISDN connection anyway! <G>

> MS-DOS is not equal to non-WinModem.  It is perfectly possible to
> write a DOS driver for a WinModem, and some manufacturers have
> done  this.  In Fact, it is possible to write a WinModem driver that
> runs under Linux, and it is then called a LinModem.  AT&T/Lucent has
> opened the design of their chip to Linux folks, and the Lucent
> LT Modems now have Linux drivers for them.

Quite true. However, IF it requires NO software to run (as
in boot from a bare DOS 6.x boot floppy, open a term
program and dial out) under DOS, it's a good modem, IMNSHO.
:-)

> In particular, you should be on the lookout for Rockwell Chipset
> modems.

Yeah. It's sad. Rockwell USED to have a good name among
HARDWARE modems....Then they went and started creating
those HSP and HCF modems. :-(

> As an ISP, I have seen and worked with thousands of modems.  For
> all practical purposes "I have seen them all" (I do get a surprise
> now and then, usually not pleasant).  Often I get folks that have
> spent a lot of money on a computer and insist that their modem is
> of the "best quality".  Or had very good luck with a Rockwell
> and insist that they are "the best" type around.  Most, if not all
> of these fold have been exposed to just one or two modems in their
> life, and their knowledge is flawed.

Yep. I'm in the same situation. I'm on the "front lines"
here at the ISP where I work.  I've gotten a LOT of calls
from people who have trouble connecting. Often when I ask
what they've got, the answer is either a "3Com/USR
WinModem",  (more likely) a Conexant HSP modem. or even
"Gateway 2000" (AKA 3Com WinModem -- same chipset,
different name!)
More often than not, I tell clients who have trouble
connecting to go to their favorite computer store and ask
for a "100% hardware modem." I then recommend one store I
know that carries those things. Typically, once they
replace their modem, their connection problems disappear!
Just my $0.02 worth here... :-)
        John