up the number of redirectors that squid is allowed to run,  If a page has lots
of images more redirectors lets them be processed in parallel.  I use 4 when
connecting to it thru a phone line - but if I use it thru the network at work
I sometimes need to up it to more than 8 to get full speed.

Also make sure that the script is set to the same user and group id as squid
is set to run.  In mandrake squid runs as user and group squid - in redhat it
runs as nobody.  But you have to make sure that what ever squid runs as -
squid redirect is set to also. And just to make sure check if it is set to
executable.
I set mine to nobody for another program that I am trying to use also so my
permissions are set like this

-rwxrwxr-x   1 nobody   nobody      61675 Feb 25 21:10 squid_redirect*

to make it easy to keep track of this and to update when there is a new script
I made a directory /home/nobody and put it there along with other web stuff
that runs as nobody.