I've been getting the same error message from LILO: "L 01 01 01..."

I've been getting around it by rebooting.  When I turn on my computer, the
first thing I do is Ctrl-Alt-Del.  When the computer reboots, LILO runs
without problem.  To me the error only happens the first time I boot up my
computer after it has been turned off.

I have not figured out any solution beyound the three-fingered salute, I have
a suspicion that it is caused by my harddrive.  Do you, like I, have a large
WDCaviar drive with EZ-Boot or their more modern DataLifeguard?  I have no
direct evidence that the drive (it is the second drive on my computer) is the
problem, but (I suspect) it was causing boot trouble even before I installed
Mandrake (I had/have Win98) causing the computer to freeze when Windows was
booting.

My little anecdote.

-Andrew Vick