On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> I have not figured out any solution beyound the three-fingered salute, I have
> a suspicion that it is caused by my harddrive.  Do you, like I, have a large
> WDCaviar drive with EZ-Boot or their more modern DataLifeguard?  I have no
> direct evidence that the drive (it is the second drive on my computer) is the
> problem, but (I suspect) it was causing boot trouble even before I installed
> Mandrake (I had/have Win98) causing the computer to freeze when Windows was
> booting.

The problem is caused because LILO is trying to occupy the
same space as EZ-Drive/EZ-Boot/DataLifeguard (assuming
that's the software to allow older computers to see
multi-gig drives?)
The best bet is to have a small bootable DOS partition with
loadlin and the kernel at the head of the drive... boot to
that and then boot to Linux by running loadlin. But you'll
have to read up on how to do loadlin, as I've never had to
use it.
        John