"Sergio P. Korlowsky" wrote:

> After following the list for quite some time, I decided to go and buy a
> dual processor MotherBoard
> since I read there were many problems with ultra-dma/66 I purchased a
> ultra DMA/33.
>
> The MB is based on the Intel 440BX chipset. supports Pentium cpus up to
> 650mhz,
> it has 5 PCI 32 bit slots and one AGP Dual Master IDE connectors  ATX
> power conn.
>
> I am planning to buy a couple of Celeron-500 and here is where I am
> seeking your advice.
> Is anyone having problems with Celeron processors... or would it be
> advisable to spend some
> more and buy the Pentium-II or III cpus?
>
> For the moment I will install 128 Mb of SDRAM (PC100) and probably
> upgrading to 256mb
> and another point I would like advice is... HDD I've never used SCSI
> before,
> all I have is a scsi Matsuchita 8x CDR.
>
> Would it be better SCSI or EIDE? I know scsi has a faster access time,
> but is it noticeable?
> or about the same that wouldn't care to go the extra mile?
>
> TIA to all of you guys and gals...
>
> Sergio P. Korlowsky

Ummm  if you are doing SMP, PII or PIII is THE choice....  unless you buy
your processors from someone who tests them for SMP operation and
warranties them for that purpose and perhaps for specific clock rates.
There are a few vendors out there who do it.  The only one I have worked
with is www.computernerd.com.  Some Celerons have the SMP pins messed up.
Others have none at all.  None to my knowledge have the SMP pins set up
the way they are on a PII or PIII.  (One of Intel's "downgrades" of the
Celeron to make sure it didn't compete with their own PII/PIII family for
certain applications.)

Civileme