"Sergio P. Korlowsky" wrote:

> After following the list for quite some time, I decided to go and buy a
> dual processor MotherBoard
> since I read there were many problems with ultra-dma/66 I purchased a
> ultra DMA/33.
>
> The MB is based on the Intel 440BX chipset. supports Pentium cpus up to
> 650mhz,
> it has 5 PCI 32 bit slots and one AGP Dual Master IDE connectors  ATX
> power conn.
>
> I am planning to buy a couple of Celeron-500 and here is where I am
> seeking your advice.
> Is anyone having problems with Celeron processors... or would it be
> advisable to spend some
> more and buy the Pentium-II or III cpus?
>
> For the moment I will install 128 Mb of SDRAM (PC100) and probably
> upgrading to 256mb
> and another point I would like advice is... HDD I've never used SCSI
> before,
> all I have is a scsi Matsuchita 8x CDR.
>
> Would it be better SCSI or EIDE? I know scsi has a faster access time,
> but is it noticeable?
> or about the same that wouldn't care to go the extra mile?
>
> TIA to all of you guys and gals...
>
> Sergio P. Korlowsky

Aren't the Celeron, PII and PIII all different slots?  If so then you're
already locked into what ever mobo you bought.

Personally I prefer the AMD K6-2 and K6-3's.  They use cheap socket-7
mobo's and really kick shorts.

SCSI hd's ?? why?  I suppose it all depends on what you're going to do with
them and even then I'm not sure I could justify the price.  I'd stick with
a Maxtor hdd any day (found a 40G for under $300 U.S., now that's cheap).

--
Joseph S. Gardner
Senior Designer / Technical Support

Linux is like a wigwam...