Before I agree with your solution, do you have the pap user id and
password in the pap-secrets file. You can use netcfg to configure it for
you but the format is client server secret. It might look something like
this:
#client  server  password
internet.usinet.username ppp0 password

The client here is based on what attglobal.net (formerly ibm.net) uses
for a name structure. Make certain that you have the correct client
"fully qualified" name. There is a fourth column for ip address but that
is not required for a ppp connection where the ip address is dynamically
assigned

If you do not have anything in the pap-secret file, get rid of the
noauth in /etc/ppp/options, fix the pap-secrets file and try logging in
again.

Tom