Just so newbies don't get overly paranoid about internal modem...

I use a 3COM/USR 56K Courier V.Everything internal modem.  The modem uses
jumpers to override the PnP features.  I have never had any problem getting
on the internet with Linux Mandrake 6.1 or 7.0.  In KPPP -->I made sure to
chose "PAP" authentication, the proper device (ex: /dev/ttyS1), dropped in
the phone number of my ISP and their DNS server IP address.  I was on the
net.

Just my $.02,
Matt