Well, this hardly requires an expert, but . . .

First, if you want to know how to do something, try "man -k".
It is one of the most powerful concepts in Unix.

(The others are |, &, and /.  [That is, pipes, fork, and
tree-structured directories.]  Some of these are commonplace by now but
none were when I started using it 20 years ago.)

Here is what we see . . .

xfindproxy (1x)      - locate proxy services
Tcl_FindExecutable, Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable (3) - identify or return the name of the
binary file containing the application
Tcl_InitHashTable, Tcl_DeleteHashTable, Tcl_CreateHashEntry, Tcl_DeleteHashEntry,
Tcl_FindHashEntry, Tcl_GetHashValue, Tcl_SetHashValue, Tcl_GetHashKey,
Tcl_FirstHashEntry, Tcl_NextHashEntry, Tcl_HashStats (3) - procedures to manage hash
tables
Tk_CoordsToWindow (3) - Find window containing a point
Tk_FindPhoto, Tk_PhotoPutBlock, Tk_PhotoPutZoomedBlock, Tk_PhotoGetImage,
Tk_PhotoBlank, Tk_PhotoExpand, Tk_PhotoGetSize, Tk_PhotoSetSize (3) - manipulate the
image data stored in a photo image.
Tk_IdToWindow (3)    - Find Tk's window information for an X window
Tk_MainWindow (3)    - find the main window for an application
diff (1)             - find differences between two files
diff3 (1)            - find differences between three files
ffs (3)              - find first bit set in a word
find (1)             - search for files in a directory hierarchy
glob, globfree (3)   - find pathnames matching a pattern, free memory from glob()
ispell, buildhash, munchlist, findaffix, tryaffix, icombine, ijoin (1) - Interactive
spelling checking
lfind, lsearch (3)   - linear search of an array.
nwsfind (1)          - Find a NetWare Server
pcibios_find_class, pcibios_find_device (9) - find a PCI class or device
perlmodlib (1)       - constructing new Perl modules and finding existing ones
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program.
recursdir (1)        - recurse through local or remote directories to command/find
files or create tar files.
runlevel -- find the current and previous system runlevel.
sdiff (1)            - find differences between two files and merge interactively
tsearch, tfind, tdelete, twalk (3) - manage a binary tree

Well, "search for files in a directory hierarchy" sounds like what we
want.  So do "man find" and discover that

find /the/mount/point/of/the/disk -name '*the_partial_file_name*'

is what you are looking for.

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, you wrote:

| Hi,
| I  want to know how to find a file on one disk knowing the file name or a part of
|file name.I didn't install Xwindows.Thank you for your help

"Brian, the man from babbleon-on"               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                         http://www.babbleon.org
Support http://www.eff.org.                     Support decss defendents.
Support http://www.programming-freedom.org.     Boycott amazon.com.